Cooking With Kids: Pizza Skewers!
Pizza Skewers Description:
Let the kids take over the kitchen from time to time with pizza skewers. The kids can have fun cooking for the whole family or their friends. They can make these pizza skewers as a party food or just for something to snack on.
Pizza Skewers Time Stats:
- 40 min
- 5 min
- 4 servings
Pizza Skewers Ingredients:
Directions for Pizza Skewers:
Special equipment: Eight 12-inch wooden skewers
- Soak eight 12-inch wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Prepare a grill for medium heat. Cut a 12-inch-square piece of aluminum foil.
- Stir together the oil, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Roll the dough into a rectangle about 11 by 6 by 1/4 inches. Using a pizza wheel or a knife, cut the dough into 1-inch strips, then into 1-inch squares. Add the dough squares, tomatoes and sausage to the seasoned oil, and toss gently to coat.
- Working quickly to keep the dough from getting warm, thread the skewers, alternating sausage pieces (skewer them through the casings), tomatoes and dough squares (skewer them through opposite sides of each square, keeping them as flat as possible so they cook through). Leave 1/2 inch of the skewer at both ends empty. Each skewer should have 4 pieces each of sausage and dough and about 3 tomatoes.
- Grill the skewers, covered, until the tomatoes have dark grill lines and the dough squares have started to puff, 2 to 3 minutes. Put the prepared foil square on the grill, and transfer the skewers onto the foil cooked-side up, so that they are almost touching. Top with the mozzarella, and grill, covered, until the tomatoes are soft, the dough squares have doubled in size and the mozzarella has melted, 3 minutes more.
- Divide the skewers among 4 plates. Tear the basil leaves over the tops. Serve with the marinara sauce, for dipping, and pass the Parmesan and red pepper flakes.
- Let the skewers cool down and enjoy this tasty treat.
Tips For Children Cooking Around The Kitchen:
Limit your child to tasks that are safe and age-appropriate. Never leave any children unattended in the kitchen while cooking. Please always be safe in working in the kitchen area and have parent supervision.
Shopping Checklist for Pizza Skewers: