Ingredients for Chicken Wrap:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil:
- 3 to 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce (gluten-free, if needed):
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, optional:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or 1 tablespoon tamari, if gluten-free or coconut aminos):
- 1 pound ground chicken, white meat or dark meat (or ground Turkey):
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar:
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped small:
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped small:
- Red pepper flakes, to serve:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided:
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (from about 6 green onions), divided
- Hot sauce, to serve:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced:
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon):
- 2 small heads Bibb or butter lettuce:
- (Optional extras: chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, chopped or grated carrots)
Time Stats for Chicken Wrap:
- Prepares in 5 minutes
- Ready to eat in 30 minutes
Instructions for Chicken Wrap:
- Mix together the sauce: Combine 3 tablespoons of the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk to combine with a fork and keep near the stove. If you’d like a more thickened, glossy sauce, whisk in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Cook the ground chicken. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ground chicken and cook until cooked through and no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes. Break up the chicken into small crumbles as you cook. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean bowl.
- Cook the vegetables and aromatics: Warm the other teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms, along with any other optional extra vegetables you want, and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, and ginger, and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Combine the vegetables and chicken:
- Transfer the cooked chicken back to the pan with the vegetables, along with half of the green onions.Stir in the sauce: Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds. Taste a spoonful of the mixture and add more hoisin sauce if you’d like a strongerflavor.Serve with the lettuce:
- Break off all the lettuce leaves and pile them on a plate in the center of the table, along with small dishes with hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and the remaining sliced green onions. Transfer the hot chicken mixture to a serving dish, or serve straight from the skillet. Give everyone a spoon and let them dig in — place a
generous spoonful of chicken mixture in the middle of a lettuce leaf, top with green onions and hot sauce or red pepper flakes, and eat right away.
Chicken Wrap Shopping Checklist: